Monday, October 13, 2014

Assignment 2: Panoramic and 360 Photographs

One of my favorite activities was the 360 degree movie made with Dermandar. It was definitely a challenge to take the series of photographs needed to make the movie because the camera had to be held very steadily, at the same height each time, and at the same angle in order to work properly. I had to do several takes before it actually worked and then there were still some shadows in the movie. I enjoyed it so much that I made two movies; one was taken outside at the baseball field and one was in the library at Northwest Rankin High School. After make my movie I showed my students how to do it and they loved it. They took their phones outside and made panoramic pictures and the 360 movies. They told me later that they had a lot of fun doing it with their friends.

I later tried several different phone apps to try to create the same type of movie, but did not have much luck. The other apps would either turn off it would try to make the movie before all the pictures had been taken. The apps I tried included EasyPano and DMD Pano. I definitely prefer Dermandar. I am hopeful that better apps like this will be available in the future for Android.

Click to view my panoramic photo.



3 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed using Dermander. Most of my students do not have smart phones, so using this application in a classroom assignment is something I probably will not do. However, I can see creating 360 degree videos of the places I visit to share with them. Some of those places could be a setting that my students would otherwise not have the opportunity to see. I also like the option on the website of looking for other places around the world. This literally gives my students and opportunity to have the world at their fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not enjoy this activity as much as you did. Your looks great! I just could not find anything interesting enough to take a picture of in Hattiesburg. However, there could be many activities that can derive of interesting panoramics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This online tool is simple to handle, and quickly to show the result. And I feel the same with you when using the tool, you have to stand steadily to take the pictures, or it cannot show up very well. And the beauty of this tool is to show a 360 degree picture, and it is good for showing the location.

    ReplyDelete